My bare bones facts to Fiona's frustrating dealing with Emirates for her ID card are as following:
1. Republic of China (ROC) was established on October 10th, 1911.
2. People's Republic of China (PRC) was established on October 1st, 1949.
3. Taiwan was a colony of Japan at the time when ROC and PRC established. Taiwan was NOT stated in their constituation as part of their territories.
4. On September 8th of 1951, six years after the WWII ended, Japan signed a Peace Treaty in San Francisco with 49 nations, renouncing all its rights and claims on Taiwan. Neither ROC nor PRC were invited to be a signatory of this Peace Treaty.
4. Today, the ethnic Chinese only account for 14% of the total population living in Taiwan , the rest of the population are ethnic Taiwanese. In 1949, Republic of China (ROC), the losing side of the Chinese civil war, took refuge in Taiwan, when the Communist Party of Chinese gained control of most of Mainland China and estalished the PRC.
5. Taiwan has been known as Formosa to the West since 1500's and the natives of Taiwan has been calling it Pakan, Tayoan (Taiwan) or other names for tens of thousands of years, but NEVER China.
6. Republic of China is not a recognized name by UN.
7. The ethnicity of Taiwan/Formosa is Taiwanese, if that's the sole purpose of identifing the ethnic belonging of all non Emirates who are currently living in Emirates.